Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tales From the Other Side

My friend/landlord, works for a company that makes portable x-ray analyzers and is a technical sales rep. He's currently on his way around the world selling this product and he decided to share this with me and a few of his other friends:

Hi all!

I wanted to drop a brief note saying I’m alive, and I’ve learned a few things during my trip:

1) I don’t think you can see the sun in China . I was in Shenzhen and the sky was a nice yellow.

2) The Monkeys in Malaysia have big balls. Like… ½ of their body weight big. It is unclear whether this is related to them living right next to Malaysia ’s radiation research facility. (And… yes… Malaysia does have a place that does radioactivity research. They have an article in their lobby on how irradiating palm oil improves it)

3) The Malaysian Radiation Research facility has a warning in Malay on the front door, and a picture of the Evil Monkey from Family guy under it. I love this country.

4) I had a reaction this morning that I couldn’t help. I got a Chinese breakfast, which was mostly great. The pork bun, dumpling and red bean paste tart were all great. I was thinking “I could handle this. It’s damned good.” Then they brought congee, which is semi salty rice gruel, and the country music started in my head. Eventually, it broke into the full chorus of “Proud to be an American.”

Hope yall are doing great!

Phil

I doubt I'll be in Malaysia staring at irradiated monkeys, but I thought this was funny and I wanted to share. If anyone else has observations from their world travels, I invite you to post a comment. I'd love to hear about your experiences and observations.

No comments: