Thursday, May 1, 2008

Life as I know it

It's been a couple weeks since I updated this. That's because life's been CRAZY! I knew my graduate stipend was going to be cut on April 30 and I had this fear that I'd have no money for travel and no money for rent so I was planning to apply for all sorts of part time jobs. I already had my part time job at the Museum of Science teaching workshops through early June, so I volunteered to teach extra workshops. I applied for a part time after-school science club program, and got that job too... However as I was applying for the after-school program, I got offered a post-doc doing some REALLY cool stuff - making biodegradable optical encoders (basically cool colorful message making devices you can eat when you're done with them). I couldn't turn that one down.

And here I am - 2 part time jobs and a full time post-doc taking up all my time, and all I REALLY want to do is plan my trip around the world. Don't get me wrong, I HAVE been planning (and I like my jobs). There have been a ton of email exchanges about the trip, which I'll get to in a different entry. I just wanted to give an update of where my life has been and where it's going. It's funny how fear of being broke and unemployed can drive you to overloading yourself - I don't know, I may be a unique case. I think I need a vacation.

Another important development in my life is that I AM actually gainfully employed starting in September. I was hired by Draper Laboratory in Cambridge, MA, and I'm starting September 8 or 15. I'm a little confused on the start date because I told HR that I couldn't start until September, but HR didn't communicate this to my future manager before they hired me. They called me up last Friday to ask if I could start (even part time) before I left for my trip - it was at this point when I finally said "NO" to someone.

About the word "no":

This is a very difficult word to say. I think this is because we are raised in such a way that there are dire consequences if we say that word. For example (flashback from childhood)- Mom: "Cappy, can you take out the garbage for me?" Cappy: "No" Mom: "What do you mean 'no'? I asked you to do something for me." Dad "Your mother asked you to do something for her, now do it." Cappy ends up taking out the garbage and has learned that saying "no" probably means she'll have to do it anyway, so why even go through the heartache of trying.

Then, one day you grow up and people will start accepting the word "no" from you - you don't get in trouble, but there are hidden consequences. High School Fencing Coach (HSFC) "Cappy, can you come referee our tournament after school on Thursday?" Adult Cappy's brain thinks 'It technically fits into my schedule, but I'd be more calm if I didn't have to run from place to place. I should practice saying no... I hear it gets easier the more times you say it.' Adult Cappy says, "I'm going to have to say no this time because I think I need to practice saying no, but don't hesitate to call me if you need me to ref in the future." HSFC say "OK, thanks anyway". That was over 2 years ago and adult Cappy hasn't heard from that HSFC about any reffing gigs since then.

So, saying "no" often comes with consequences, but in retrospect, saying yes to too many things can be just as bad. I just hope I have a yes-no balance that I can live with over the next couple of months.

I have made a decision though - NOTHING IS GETTING IN THE WAY OF THIS TRIP!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I was about to break into a musical rendition of "I'm just a girl who can't say no!" =)

Good luck, congrats on the job (Draper's a nice place to work, from what I hear), and keep planning!

Phil

Cappy said...

Funny thing I found out recently about HSFC - it turns out that the reason he didn't call me back wasn't because I said "no" to him. It was because he had to leave the country and upon his return to the US he was arrested for being a sex offender. He's in jail and that had nothing to do with me saying "no". There MAY be hope that it's OK to say "no"!