Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Same... but Different

I've been back in Boston for about a day now, and I've been in the US for about 10 days (5 in Santa Rosa, 2 in DC and 2 in NY). While I've come back to the same place life just seems different. These differences have slowly been occurring to me.

School started after labor day, and I didn't have to be there. This occurred to me as I was riding through San Francisco between Ghiradelli way to the Coastal Trail in San Francisco. My aunt had made the observation that there was surprisingly little traffic in the city and I suggested that it was because school had started... she looked at me and laughed because she could see the strange look on my face... then I said, "School start... I'm not there... I'm not there! That's pretty cool."

I came back to my apartment last night, and it was clean... pretty much the way I left it. Not that I expected my sublet to make it or leave it dirty. It's just that the day I left, my apartment was clean for the first time in a long time because my life to busy to put away those clothes into a closet that was stuffed with clothes I didn't even wear most of the time. I had a lot of junk that I gave to the good will before I left, and less stuff = easier to keep a space neat. I was bummed when my space became clean and I wasn't the one it was cleaned for. Living out of a backpack for 2 months made me realize I didn't really need a lot of the stuff I have... otherwise I'd actually miss having it. There's some stuff here that I miss having, like a stove and a refrigerator and a bed of my own complete with my Teddy Bears . But, I really don't miss my ugly futon frame or all of those novelty T-shirts. It's left me with an incredible urge to throw out more stuff.

Speaking of stuff I missed... Anyone hear that Brett Favre came out of retirement to play for the Jets? THE JETS! This actually made international news, so I'd have to lie if I said I wasn't prepared for this on my way back to the US. I think I read it in some newspaper in the Singapore or Istanbul Airport. I had about a month for it to actually sink in... What I wasn't really prepared for was the enjoyment I experience while watching the Jets (really master Favre) play from a sports bar in Ashburn, VA, home of the Redskins practice fields (and my parents), on opening day... I hate NY sports! I was raised in DC and I've spent my entire adult life living in Boston. I'm extraordinarily confused... and disoriented...

At the same time Farve was throwing touchdowns for NY, Tom Brady was busy busting his ACL. Football's just not going to be as fun without Brady. It makes things a little more interesting, but I do enjoy watching a master perform his craft... and now I have to wait an extra year. Mega bummer.

And then there's the Tampa Bay Devil Rays... I know... the Tampa Bay who? Where did they come from... As I'm writing, I'm watching the Red Sox vs. the Devil Rays in extra innings battling it out to get to the top of the AL East. And where did the Yankees go, not to say I'm all that sorry to see them in the middle of the pack... I'm sure Jets fans are thinking the same about Patriots.

Anyway all this sports stuff is small beans in the grand scheme of life, but a lot of small beans can add up (sometimes to a nice pot of chili if you put a little extra effort into it). Seriously, right now, I kind of holding a bunch of slightly bland beans because I'm back where I really like to be, but I'm not quite into the swing of life here yet. I'm about to be a working woman on Monday, and all I can think about is "do I really have enough clothes that will be appropriate for my job? I've been wearing t-shirts and jeans for the past 5 years and my wardrobe really needs help. My apartment looks like a student's apartment, can I make it look adult? Do I have to make it look adult? Wouldn't it be nice to have an apartment where the refrigerator isn't in the same room as my bed?"

Honestly, I love where I live. I can bike anywhere, I did today. I love having trees and fresh air, and access to my favorite city without driving. I over indulged today by going to by going to BOTH the Davis Square and Arlington Center Farmer's markets. I cooked myself pancakes for breakfast and pasta with roasted eggplant and fresh tomato sauce I made from farmer's market tomatoes.

Speaking of beans, big and small, here's a big bean in a small package. (btw, the clock is wrong - baby tries to go to sleep around 9PM, but apparently time means very little to new parents because they're away every few hours anyway - funny I got the same feeling while switching time zones so often). This is Gabriel William Clay, born July 27, 2008. This is my 3rd nephew I've acquired by staying in touch with old friends (there's also Vered's son, Joseph Ari - 2.5 years, and Marisa's son, Punn Punn, 8.5 months). OK boys... auntie Cappy will teach you the ways of soccer and show you how to make funny noises by slapping yourselves on you own cheeks, and we shall build forts both inside and outside the house whether mommy wants us to or not... This will be fun! I get all the cuteness without the diapers. Thanks gals! I've enjoyed visiting. =)

4 comments:

Michelle Clay said...

Welcome home Cappy! It's been a life-changing month for both of us. Have fun throwing away your old tee-shirts. I wish I could talk Chris into doing the same. . .

You are going to be a great friend and role-model for Gabe in a few years! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Cappy! We really enjoyed traveling the world with you through your blog. Have a wonderful start to your new career--sorry we were not able to see you when you were in our area. You are an amazing young woman!

Jodi and Dan Benedict

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I'm thoroughly impressed that a young lady would undertake such an epic journey on her own - but not at all surprised that you were the one to do it.

Scienter said...

Your trip sounded fabulous! I enjoyed living vicariously through you. :)

Have fun accumulating a work wardrobe!